What do Governors do?
Governors are at the heart of our school leadership. Their responsibilities include:
- The performance of the school
- The future development of the school
- Managing the school budget
- Appointing staff
- The school’s provision for pupils
The Governors carry out their responsibilities through committee meetings. They meet as a whole a minimum of four times a year, and also meet as committees at least three times a year. The committees do most of the decision making. The Committees at Holy Family Catholic High are as follows:
- School Development Committee
- Finance Committee
- Statutory Committees including Admissions, Appeals, Complaints, Pupil Discipline and Staff Discipline
Governors can be part of more than one committee, thereby making committees less onerous and more effective. Governors can take part in all aspects of school life and can decide how much to be involved through the Link Governors scheme.
Being a Governor is very rewarding:
- Making a positive difference to how well the school operates.
- Seeing how your efforts help raise standards and achievement
- Helping the school to be a bigger part of our community
- Learning new skills, enhance your CV and realise your potential
- Having an impact on children’s lives
- Ensure that every child matters
Training and support
There is a great deal of support for Governors, new and experienced. There is a full induction process, including meeting the Head and having a tour of the school. If you wish, another member of the Academy Council will act as your mentor. Training can be accessed through a range of providers including the County Council. Fees are paid by the school. Courses can encourage your development as a Governor. Attendance at forums are useful to increase knowledge in specific areas and networking with other local Governors.
The Academy Council is skills based to ensure a broad and balanced Academy Council, and is made up as follows:
- 6 x Foundation Governors
- 1 x Staff Governor
- 1 x Headteacher Governor
- 2 x Parent Governors
- 2 x Associate Governors
- Clerk to the Governors – The Academy Council is supported by the Headteacher’s PA who also acts as Clerk to the Governors.